1.1 What is your relationship with your sketchbook?
Do you already keep a sketchbook?
Yes. I work on separate sheets of paper, sketching on just a single sheet. I then stick these sheets within a book.
I keep sketchbooks for my studies and then a sketchbook for my personal work. To date, these have remained very separate.
Is it an extension of you?
I feel my personal work is an extension of me. I draw what I feel inspired by, if I'm uninspired I find it really difficult to create. I think my very best drawings have happened when my mind and my heart engage. It's like something beyond the pencil and paper can happen. This is when I really feel the magic of creating.
My studies have been functional to date, and I don't believe very much of myself has been revealed within them. However I am really hoping this module will change that.
Is it just a functional object that holds ideas?
Not just functional no, although of course I do work through sketches until I feel I have got it right, so there is most definitely a function too it. Although with each drawing, I can see more too it than function.
Are you scared of your sketchbook?
No, as I work on loose sheets, there isn't a book as such to fear. Although I realise working like this, I discard the sheets I am unhappy with. So there are lost pages. I only stick in the sheets I like. Is this a false truth?
Are you being too functional?
Yes having realised I discard sheets I don't like, I think this does diminish the process.
Are you being too emotional?
I do feel my personal drawings are an extension to my emotions. However I do draw to get a subject right, therefore going through a number of drawings before 'right' appears - So there is function.
Discarding sheets does make me wonder if I am being too precious about the process though. Why don't I include all of the sheets? Vanity I think. Fearing the mistakes perhaps.
Do you need to become more attached to your sketchbook?
Yes I do believe I should be. I don't carry a sketchbook all of the time. I only work at home. On location only if my studies require it.
I would like to carry a sketchbook with me to capture people on the street. I often take photos and use the photos as reference once I get home. I would love to take quick sketches on the street.
I have selected these quotes that most apply to me. Even though some contradict each other, I realise this is a complex situation and one I will gladly think about:
Initially I was daunted but [I am] rapidly becoming more comfortable.
Katherine Robertson




Comments
Post a Comment