2.5 Drawing with objects: A journey scrapbook 


My journey today was limited to my home. However, I was able to collect a number of objects to work with. 


An example of Christoph Niemann's imagination at work. A simple drawing of a dinosaur, half made up of a pair of socks. 

With what appears to be a thick marker, a running dinosaur has bought the sock to life in such a creative way. 

With what even appears as a nose and eyes the paraeidolia effect in the texture of the sock. I wonder if Niemann saw the head in the sock initially, and that what led him on to draw the dinosaur? Or was it the other way round and he drew the dinosaur first before looking for something to include. 

Simple and wildly unique. 


Equally as playful is this illustration by Steinberg. 

Even though not a physical object as such. Steinberg has created the mood of the word he has worked with, EAT. The word is the illustration. 

Again, in only a simple line, such a striking drawing has been created, using the essence of the word. Each letter has also been turned into an object, the T as the table or a character such as the E with teeth. So fun and different. 



Inspired by Niemann and Steinberg, I want to try and use my own imagination to place the physical items I have collected. I my only be limited to my own home today, but I'm looking forward to creatively thinking about my objects. 

Drawing 1 

Working with a small A5 sketchbook. 

The wrapping of a 'Radox' Bubble Bath. 

I peeled the wrapping away from the bottle and glued it onto the A5 page. 

I decided to draw around the wrapper. A tap can be seen above. The 'Radox' wrapper acts as the running water, a green, scented batch emerges beneath with splashes of water and 'Radox' as the tap runs. 

I used a black line and coloured pencils. 

The wrapper has become the actual water. 


Drawing 2 

A5 sketch. 

The wrapper of the sketchbook I purchased for this exercise. 

I peeled away the wrapper and glued it to the page. 

A sketchbook is to colour and create in. So I used it's meaning to turn it into a pen holder, filling it with coloured pens. 


Drawing 3

A5 sketch. 

Black line and coloured pencils. 

The box of a designer perfume bottle. 

I positioned, the box on the page and created a shop shelf of perfumes around it. It has now been taken back to that moment before it's a gift. Waiting to be picked. 


Drawing 4 

A5 sketch. 

Using the lid of the perfume box, the beautifully, embossed YSL label. I decided to work with its designer look and placed it on the page. The lid looked like the front of a purse, so I drew around it and placed the lid in a handbag store.


Drawing 5

A5 sketch. Black line and coloured pencils. 

The 'Mr Kipling' label cut away from the cake box. 

I wanted to think about what having a piece of cake meant to me. My mind took me to a café window, gazing out of the window with a cup of tea. 

I glued the label onto the page and created the scene around it. 


Reflections

A fantastic exercise. 

Steinberg and Niemann are such creative thinkers and use the most wonderfully unique thoughts to create such imaginative illustrations. 

I feared that being limited to the house today would hinder my thought processes. However the opposite is true. Working with what I could find whilst journeying around the home, I was able to find the most basic of items to create a scene. The scenes have captured the objective of each item. 

I have also found working in an A5 sketchbook really satisfying. A smaller page feels less daunting and soon fills, which for a creative scene really works. There are no spaces or gaps. 

The coloured pencils are a fantastic way to capture a bright and playful feel to a drawing. 

I am happy that my imagination has started to run in this exercise. However, I know I have only scratched the surface. I could push my imagination much further and create characters out of the objects, such as Steinberg. 

Reference
christophniemann.com 
saulsteinbergfoundation.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog