2.1 Limited line drawings
My foot in a pencil line, with an ink line 1-5:
I limited myself to the outline of the foot, trying to resist adding too much detail within.
Sketches 1-3 have lines, detailing in between the toes and the lines of toenails for each toe.
Sketches 4 & 5 only have the line of the big toes and the toe nail of the big toe. Cleverly though, I think my eye can still understand that the lines are that of a foot, even without the definition of all 5 toes. The curve and the shape of the lines do appear enough for an understanding of the subject. A surprise? Perhaps this is because of the inclusion of the shape of the big toe nail? Perhaps, without this detail it would be harder to understand the sketches. However, the five sketches became even more limited as I went, and I feel all are recognisable.
I have been studying the drawing 'Young Woman Sleeping' by Rembrandt Van Rijn 1654. With the tip of a brush and with a brown wash, Rembrandt has skillfully drawn the outline of the woman resting, believed to be Hendrickje Stoffels. What appears to be a white wash has been used to capture the light of the environment and highlight the form of the figure. At points the wash seems to be heavier and darker, such as on the top of the head for hair and beneath the body as shadow. All of this is captured using very little detail and only line, yet the viewer can clearly see the woman sleeping. A brilliant and inspiring example of a limited line drawing.
Reference:
britishmuseum.org


Comments
Post a Comment