2.0 Research Task 

Sophie Peanut 


I study a collection of people, faces and portrait illustrations. Sketches made with pencils, pen, watercolour and gouache. 



The faces are lined in black, a fairly thick line with the most bright and vibrant colours within, the blonde of the hair is bright yellow, the contour lines of the skin are bright, pinks and browns, the eyes deep blue and brown. The images are striking. The colour of the background also seems intentional, as vivid as the face. The faces show such expression, in the eyes, mouth and lines of the face, wrinkles or laughter lines. In a room you would struggle to walk by, rather stop and take the image in, even if an unintentional viewer. 

Words do accompany some of the portraits, "How Miranda had become so miserable?" "Orange President" in reference to a portrait of Donald Trump. The words are also an extension of the portraits. The typography is interesting and fun, the words are easy to read and digest. Stories in themselves. The add value to the portrait, like a short synopsis of the subject matter. The colour in the background of the text is also of consequence, it compliments the background of the face, yet not the same colour. Another layer of interest. 

I next move onto her portfolio of Urban Sketches. She writes that se sits on the street corner with a sketchbook. 



The sketches are full of spontaneity and energy. The lines appear thinner than the portrait lines, they are quick and rapid, detailed by not stagnant. Every element of the location seems to have been captured, the weather conditions, the street lamps, the vibe of the location, speed of the location, as in is it quiet or busy. The watercolour washes also help the view read the scene. The colour again is quick, but detailed enough to capture the light and the dark, shadows, creases in clothing, wear and tear in the brick work. 

Sohie Peanut's work is loose and confident and as a consequence has no limitations to it. My work, I believe is in its infancy. It is stiffer, nervous and rigid. 

Peanut's washes of colour are broad and clean. My use of colour is coming on, but my washes are smaller with limits, I fear colour run that may muddy the wash, so I always air on the side of caution. 

I never let the sketch run free, as Peanut appears to do. I keep my sketches retrained, fearful again that one mistake will render the sketch bin worthy. Does Sophie discard of any sketches I wonder? Or are they all kept as free spirits? 

Peanut's landscapes are especially atmospheric. There is still vibrancy in the colour, even through the tones are muted in contrast to the portraits. 

The lines are just as loose and speedy, with a clear idea of distance with the forefront, middle and background. 

Texture is added in with the strokes of the brush, I see. 



Notes I have taken from Sophie Peanut's portfolio: 

  • Use a fine line in a quick fashion. 
  • Don't retrain or limit a sketch, let it run free. 
  • Fill a page. 
  • Capture the mood, as well as the subject. 
  • Show expression. 
  • Use large washes of colour. 
  • Be vibrant in the use of colour. 

Reference:

www.sophiepeanut.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog