3.2 Working with external visual impetus - people
Single figure
1. Positioned in the kitchen I used a black belt tip pen and a hard pencil to capture a single figure washing up.
5. A longer study of the single figure washing up. Pencil and watercolour pencils.
Crowds and activities
I took a standing position on a street corner in my local town. I looked into a street where there is a bus stop populated with people.
The conditions are grey, it's raining and a little chilly.
We continue to operate under Covid restrictions so there are figures wearing face coverings.
I have with me, an A3 pad of paper, a black line 0.7, a pencil, a tin of watercolour pencils that are easily stored and carried.
1. A group of figures stood on the pavement. Two of the figures are chatting. One figure looks downwards to the pavement. One looks on.
Photo Viewpoints for reference
Reflections:
The single figure sketches started off as rather rigid, as in sketch 1. However as I went I do feel the sketches became more fluid, with a more natural and fluid line. As the black felt tip pen wore down, it started to run out, however this gave a softer line which worked well. I like the gentleness of the line.
It was difficult to collect a line of detail in a short space of time, however I found that the more fluid the line became, the quicker the sketch came together.
Crowds - I found this part of the exercise a challenge, but the sketches rewarding. The street was rather wet and soggy and I did worry about my paper. However I am so pleased with the quick sketches, I can see a sense of character coming through and I like the narrative of being on a wet street, watching people collect together whilst waiting for the bus. The face masks add extra interest and document the timing of this snapshot.
The watercolour pencils were so easy to carry around, contained within a tin. I didn't carry a jar of water with me, so I added the water to blend the colours once I was home. On scene, I used the pencils as coloured pencils and coloured in key areas.
I enjoyed capturing smaller things, like hats, umbrellas and bags. All add a little note of a story to the figure and their journey.
To add to the narrative, it would be wonderful to have the ability to work quickly enough to capture the setting in the sketches, the walls, the rain, the shops, the street.













Comments
Post a Comment