3.1 Understanding viewpoints
What is the relationship between the photos and the drawings you made in your sketchbook?
I was drawn to photographing the areas that I had already drawn, perhaps as a further aid in documenting. The photos were taken on the same day, so the weather conditions are the same. Perhaps a whole new narrative could be made in different conditions.
Do you see the photos as a form of reference to possibly help you inform your earlier sketches or do you consider them to be an alternative and separate for of visual language?
Yes. Having photo reference is a great way of recording detail that I may need to carry forward in the exercises ahead. The sketches are one way of documenting, but subject to error, things I didn't record correctly, areas I missed or didn't see as significant at the time. Photos are proof and a fool proof way of documenting.
Do they provide visual language?
Yes they do, the weather, colour, landscape textures all add to the narrative of the scenes. The conjure emotions and thoughts, just as I had felt when I walked the route with my sketchbook.
Did the process of the photos make you want to return to any of your sketches and develop them in some way?
Yes very much. The photos highlight details I didn't see when I took quick sketches, colours I didn't effectively capture using my coloured pencils. I now have the evidence in photos that I can use as reference to carry forward.
I extended my route on this occasion and took further reference.







Comments
Post a Comment