4.1 Description and Depiction 

As advised I drew out 4 boxes onto a large A2 sheet of white paper. 

Inspired by 'The Butterfly Farm' I visited for exercise 4.0 'Fill it up fast' I decided to use this attraction for this exercise also. 

1. Letter format. Here I hand wrote a letter of the words I would write on the back of a postcard about this place. 

"The air is hot here and the environment is tropical

The walls and the ground are full of vivid colour, greens, blues and reds. 

There is life and movement all around me. I am the dullest form here. Curious shapes and creatures own this space. 

The sky is full of butterflies. 

I can hear water. The temperament is calm and tranquil. An exotic space of peace". 

2. In the next box along, I positioned the words instead of pictures. 

At the very top "The sky is full of butterflies. 

"Tropical palms". 

"Trees line the scene". 

"A pond full of koi and the sound of calm". 

"Flowers of red and orange face upwards". 

"Air bubble in the water as the fish swim up". 


3. Here I draw the scene simply with a black biro. 

I plot in the butterflies in the air. The trees that line the scene. The water and the fish. 


4. In the final box I try and create a balance of describing the scene with words and pictures. 
I use the black biro, crayons and coloured pencils to fill the box. 




Around the outside of the box I instinctively wrote some of the descriptive words around the outside of the box. 


Reflections: 

Which approach did you enjoy and which will you take forward from this task? 

Describing the scene in words was an authentic and organic way of piecing the scene together visually in my mind. Writing about the scene in a letter created a living scene without the need of pictures. It was a great way of expanding my imagination. Writing the right words to effectively create the scene in someone else's mind. 

This is a great tool to use at the beginning of any ideas, brainstorming, mind mapping stage. 

What happened when words and images interacted; did they reinforce or play off against each other? 

I think within the box they words alongside each other to create an interesting and more detailed sketch. When I wrote the adjectives outside of the box, visually I think they play off against each other. Perhaps in future the larger words could be created within the scene in a way that subtly compliments the picture. Or the picture could be expanded outside of the box to engulf the words maybe. 

Did describing the scene using words first affect the way you drew afterwards? 

I think the words helped direct my mind to the key parts of the scene I wanted to capture. The fish in the water, the air bubbles, the trees that lined the scene, the red flowers. The words ensured all of these things made it into the box and I couldn't be distracted. 

Did what you described using words help you to describe the emphasis or your image? 

Yes, the words ensured the picture remained focussed on the key elements. The positioning of the words on the page helped map out the scene before the images were added. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog