4.4 Using basic narrative structure 


For this exercise I take a sketch of a Water Lily from my sketchbook, taken from exercise 4.0 'Fill it up fast'. 

I draw three boxes onto the page. I draw the pink Water Lily in all three boxes. I use a black crayon and water colour pencils to quickly re sketch the Lily. 

I now move to reflecting different phases of the sequence. 

1. What happened before? The fish swims passed the Water Lily, swimming under the surface of the water. 

2. The fish surfaces to take a closer look at the pink Water Lily. 

3. What happened after? The fish dives deep into the water as it leaves the Water Lily. 




I redrew the Water Lily onto a pad using a black felt tip pen and a pink felt tip for a bolder effect. I included the Lily leaves and presented the Water Lily on the water. I coloured in the background colour blue, it is the height of the day. 

In the second box I decided to use the light as the first change in the drawing. I use the colour yellow to depict an evening, mellow light. It is now later on in the day. To reflect the time of day, I alter the Water Lily and start the closing up of the bud. I move the petals inwards, a tighter bud. The leaves are also altered so they appear to be curling up at the sides, responding to the diminishing light. 

In the final box, I try to interpret night. I use a purple to communicate this. I alter the Water Lily so that the bud is now entirely closed up. It is reaching upwards in search of light. I also change the colour of the leaves to blue so that they appear to be in the dark. 



1. Day. 


2. Late afternoon. 


3. Evening. 

Finally, I imagined a different possibility for my sequence. 

I again used three boxes to draw the Water Lily into . I also included the character of the fish to communicate my sequence. 

I looked at the shape of the Lily and imagined what forms the Lily could take as possibilities.

1. A character of a hedgehog

2. A character in itself, with a face beaming from the inside. 

3. A snail.

Reflections: 

This was an incredibly imaginative exercise and a great training into creating sequences. 
I have learned that to create a sequence can actually be made in three simple steps, this is a foundation for opportunity to progress the sequence. This will really help as a starting point for assignment four. 

I really enjoyed the first sequence of events. The Water Lily remained the same. The time of day remained the same. It's the movement and action of the fish that communicate the story. Simple but very effective. 

Changing the time of the day of the sequence also offers a direction of change to a short sequence. 

Key words that remind me of what I have learned: 
Sequence. Storytelling. Image. Imagination. Reflect. Communicate. Time, Different forms. Cycle. Duplicate. Duplicate. Redraft. Stages. 

Also to remember: What happened before? What happened after? 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog