Exercise 5.3 

Constructing a Visual Journey 


I have spent some time exploring my journey so far. I have highlighted pieces of work, sections, moments in the sketchbooks that serve as a memory and an important part of my learning process. 

I have also revisited tutor feedback and I've written down the comments that I want to remind myself of and carry forward with me into assignment 5. 

When I was at school, I remembered that the best way that I learnt and recalled information was to create small study cards. The cards a small, pocket size which will work great in creating snapshots. They are easy to absorb and easy to store. Revisiting memory lane, this feels like a good place to start in creating a memory book of this journey, that will also act as an important sketchbook to have me throughout the working of the final assignment. 






Tutor feedback noted on the back of the cards: 


"Colours, sounds, smells, conversations you experience - Note them."

"Add in faces, this will help communicate expressions, mood and atmosphere."

"Use different surfaces."

"Aim to be more experimental with format, how might you fold and open this sequence in an inventive way."

"Go into more discussion of your choice of sketchbook, paper size, format, materials."

"Emotion and action of figures. I would recommend focussing much more on drawing from life."

"Include a range of close up and distanced drawings."

Combined with my own action list compiled in 'Exercise 5.1 Making and action plan - Visually'

  • Be more inventive 
  • Interpret
  • Work in sequence
  • Write words
  • Use different surfaces 
  • Use line 
  • Use colour 
  • Become braver
  • Draw people 
  • Think more about meaning 
  • Make mistakes 

Final sketchbook:



Reflections

A fantastic focus session. I've managed to create a snapshot memory book of this journey so far, as well as an action plan moving forward. 

The end result is a sketchbook of past and new sketches that will trigger and encourage me for assignment 5. 

Also having notes from my tutor, easily to hand will help guide me through to completion. The revision cards have worked fantastically well at producing a resourceful and accessible sketchbook. 

I have stored the cards within a small envelope. If I feel lost or lose my way, I will keep the envelope to hand so I can pull the cards. 

In terms of an order to the cards, as yet I like them being snapshots that I can pull randomly as a reminder, just like studying from an exam. Although with a little time, an order might come into play. 

Looking at the contrast of colour cards, and black and white cards makes such an interesting book. Also snapshots of colours and textures, brown and white paper. Words or no words really inspires and excites me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog